Please read this blog post first
Finally, after much chasing, have an update from the council on this issue:
Thank you for your correspondence dated 19th May 2015 and my receipt dated 14th July
2015 in connection with the above. I have attached a plan for reference of the location of
the barrier where you have requested the surrounding area to be improved.
The barrier gate off Forest Farm Road is for maintenance vehicle access and therefore
the area around the gate has become increasingly muddy and difficult to navigate due to
tree roots, mud and stone. From the recent inspection it has been assessed and included
as part of the programme for 2015/2016 to receive resurfacing treatment during this
On behalf of Highways, we apologise for the delayed response to your query and on this
occassion we are pleased to inform you we will be able to improve the surfacing around
the barrier for users.
Sustrans are celebrating 20 years of the National Cycle Network (NCN). Whilst what they have achieved should be celebrated, what is next for Sustrans? Sustrans boost on their website that there is a total of 14,000miles- unfortunately it seems some of this isn’t of the highest standard:
So, this is my opinion, of what Sustrans should do next:
- Remove parts of the NCN that do not meet nationally set standards
- Remove ridiculous barriers that are supposed to prevent motorbikes/motor vehicles. In the picture above, we had to remove our panniers & squeeze through. How would a disabled user manage this- again see above, they didn’t & required our assistance.
- Add/fix the links in the NCN- don’t assume that roads/pavements can be used, even if they are only 100m long. This can be very off-putting for the average cyclist- or new cyclist that has only just started
- Stop promoting/supporting councils that put in “useless/dangerous/joke” infrastructure like Cardiff. Like this piece of infrastructure (here), supposed by National Director (here)
- Put a plan in place to get cities/villages linked by cycle routes- there isn’t even a route between Cardiff <> Newport yet!
- Listen to users of your network, I reported a number of issues over 2 years ago- although I had a response, nothing has changed since. If there are issues- why not have a section on your website listing these, so users are aware- rather than have them reported multiple times.
Sustrans news article here